The Scene From the Soccer Pitch

By Thomas Eng

The YSCC semifinals did not go well for either of the SMCC soccer teams. Both left post-season play with heartbreaking defeats.

NHTI beat the men’s team in a worthy fight. The NHTI Lynx came out hot right off the bat with a quick goal not ten minutes after the start of the game. It was a slow thirty minutes after that, as neither goalie give an inch. NHTI was able to squeeze another goal in, giving them a 2-0 lead over the Seawolves.

It wasn’t until thirty seconds before the end of the half until sophomore Yaroslav Philbrook was able to fire a shot into the back of the net, closing the gap (2-1).

The Seawolves started the second half with a bit more mojo, but NHTI snuffed that out quickly with a goal less than a minute into the second half. The two teams fought back and forth until Philbrook was able to score his second goal of the game, again closing the gap (3-2).

Momentum built for the Seawolves with senior Tristan Campbell scoring five minutes after Philbrook. With the game tied at 3-3 with four minutes left on the clock, there was no telling who might take the match.

NHTI was able to send one last stinger to the back of the net right at the end of regulation, giving them a 4-3 victory. This defeat meant an end to the Seawolves’ season with a 6-6-3 record. NHTI will be headed into the finals with a record of 9-4-1.

After beating the University of Maine-Machias, 2-1 in the semi-final, the Lady Wolves were ready for redemption when they faced off against NHTI who tarnished their perfect record prior to the post-season tournament.

NHTI took the challenge and scored first with a goal at the 37-second mark, showing the Seawolves’ that they meant business. Both teams fought valiantly, firing off shots whenever they could and getting physical more often than that. Both teams ended the game with four shots on goal, however the play was rough, and the girls were ruthless.

SMCC ended the 90 minutes of play with 10 fouls and NHTI had an astonishing 13. The girls were brutal on the field, and it’s no wonder why. At the 60 minute mark, NHTI scored their second goal, and it was all over. SMCC couldn’t manage to squeak one shot past NHTI’s keeper, and the game ended with the Lady Wolves losing 2-0. The loss left the Seawolves’ at a 12-2-0 record, both losses being against NHTI who finished off the season with a 12-1-1 record and their third consecutive title.

While the Lady SeaWolves didn’t get the chance to hoist the YSCC championship trophy over their heads they will be traveling to Virginia Beach to participate in the USCAA Division 2Women’s Soccer Tournament.

When asked for a comment regarding this opportunity, Head Coach Ethan Wells stated, “The women and I are very much looking forward to the challenge of matching up with the best in Division 2. But for me the experience is bigger than soccer. I’m happy our student-athletes are getting they celebration they deserve after all of the hard work they put in this season.”

Categories: Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s