Calendar

From The Desk of the Managing Editor

How the Beacon can Benefit You

by Celina Simmons

Why should you consider joining the school newspaper? Well, because there are more benefits than what’s on the surface. And I’ll let you in on a little secret: it’s a lot easier than you may think.

You may be thinking by now, “I don’t do journalism, why would I join the newspaper?” You may even be so quick to say you just aren’t good at writing. I can’t be the one to decide that, but I can say that our copy editors are fantastic for that. Typically, every article submitted will get at least some editing suggestions, which is not a bad thing. They’re just doing their jobs and trying to help everyone a little here and there along the way. 

Maybe you aren’t trying to be America’s Next Top Journalist, uncovering all of the government’s top secrets (it’s not for everyone). But did you know that having your name published could be what makes the difference between you and your next job competitor?

All it takes is to send in one article, one short story or illustration, one piece of photography and you can check off “published” on your resume. Now that’s something to brag about! Fields where this can be beneficial: graphic art/design, film, liberal studies, psychology, sociology, business, music, political science, etc, etc. – you get the point.

Still not convinced? We help you improve on skill sets you may have never known you had. Say you can’t write. Why not practice? Aren’t comfortable with your graphic design skills? Let’s help you get them to where you want to be. You will be building your portfolio with each issue you work on.

Our cover page reads we are “Lighting our Community.” In doing that, you become a bigger part of that community before you know it. You may find a passion in the work, and hey- maybe you will be America’s Next Top Journalist. But you’ll never know if you never try.

For more information about how you can be a part of the Beacon and what we do, you can contact me at celinamsimmons@smccme.edu.

Categories: Calendar