By the Beacon Staff
Southern Maine Community College will celebrate its 77nd commencement on Sunday, May 12, 2019, at 2:00 p.m. Graduates and guests will be well entertained by a guest speaker, musical ensembles, the traditional bagpipes and several student speakers. It is always wonderful to see the graduates looking into the audience for their friends and family – we hope to see you all there to celebrate with us. The only animals allowed to attend are service animals. Feel free to make signs on poster board so that the graduates can find you in the audience.
The ceremony will be held at the Cross Insurance Arena (formerly Cumberland County Civic Center) at 45 Spring Street in Portland. Doors open to students at 12 p.m. Allow extra time for entry, as the Cross Arena does search bags and persons entering the arena.
There will be an interpreter for the hearing impaired at the ceremony. Cross Insurance Arena has clearly marked seating available to accommodate guests with disabilities. Should you or your guest require such seating, we recommend that you arrive at 12:00 p.m., as guest seating cannot be reserved.
Graduates, for more information, please click the Commencement Letter 2019 link on MySMCC portal. Please make sure to log in to MySMCC to view your graduation status, using the graduation status report link on the right. A quick list of facts:
1. The ceremony will be held on Sunday, May 12, 2019, at the Cross Insurance Arena located at 45 Spring Street, Portland, from 2 p.m until 4:30 p.m.
2. Plan to stay for the entire ceremony. Graduates won’t be leaving the floor until every graduate has been recognized.
3. You can pick up your cap and gown (if you haven’t already) at the arena between 12 and 1:15 p.m., before the ceremony.
4. Tickets are not required, and there is no limit to the number of guests you may invite.
5. Phi Theta Kappa will be selling roses at the ceremony for your friends and family.
If you change your mind about participating in the ceremony, please notify the Advising Office at email@example.com.